Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Got it Like That" - Pell ft. G-Eazy

You know, it's really easy to become jaded when all you do all day is listen to pop music and eat Cheetos. Actually, Cheetos are delicious. Never mind. Where was I going with this? Oh yeah. Modern rap music!



It's been an interesting road for rap music in 2015 so far. On the one hand, with the influence of Vine, popular rap music seems to be getting stupider. But on the other hand, a lot of these songs have some kind of charm to them and have memorability, at least. I still have that "Nasty Freestyle" song stuck in my head (unfortunately). But I guess where I'm going with this is that I'm wondering if we'll ever get any genuinely good rap music making it big on the charts again. The kind of stuff that's provocative and demands you to listen. Ladies and gentlemen, here's a song for people like me wondering the same thing.



Listen to that flow. Here's a rapper that demands your attention, and gets all of his demands satisfied. Cool as fuck.

The hook grabs you from the get-go, with its fast pace and its commanding presence. The production also helps the song's case, being strong and powerful but not taking away from the presence of the rappers. 

Lyric-wise, it's admittedly not the deepest song, but you have to admire the effort put into it, especially these days. I'm just happy to hear a song where it sounds like somebody's trying to make a good statement. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. These guys got it like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment