Tuesday, June 9, 2015

CanTunes Tuesday: "The Hills" - The Weeknd

The hills are alive with the sound of... this guy?



All right, another song from The Weeknd. This one's called "The Hills". Will it sound just as dreary and pretentious as his first big hit? Of course it will!


Oh yeah, this sounds like a joy to listen to.

I have a theory, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think people listen to The Weeknd because they think it makes them look smarter. Am I right on that? The music sounds pretentious, dark, and artsy enough to evoke that aura of "high art" but honestly it all comes crashing down when you actually listen to the lyrics.

I'm just tryin' to get you out the friendzone

You heard right. They used the word "friendzone" in a song. This song is not a joke, or a parody of modern culture. It is an honest-to-god song that we're expected to take seriously. Gag me.

That's my problem with The Weeknd: he's a dumb lyricist hiding behind a smart-sounding production. But when you put the two together, they don't mesh at all and the song doesn't work. I just don't like this guy's music. It's too dreary for me to enjoy it. It's always stuck at the same tempo and the same pitch, and I'd rather listen to many other things than this. This isn't good music to me. This is bad music masquerading as "good music".

No comments:

Post a Comment