Sunday, June 8, 2014

"Am I Wrong" - Nico & Vinz

Hey, pop music had better stop being so good, or I'm not gonna be able to make any jokes.



This is exactly the kind of music we need to wash out Iggy Azalea and Jason Derulo (who, just so you're all aware, has yet another song in the Top 10). Something that actually sounds pleasing to the ear. Something that I actually want to listen to. Thank you, Norwegian pop duo Nico & Vinz.

The song celebrates individuality, and I certainly can't think of anything else like it on the charts. It's got this pulsating, commanding beat to complement the chorus singer's powerful voice. Both singers do well on this song, but it's the singer on the chorus that really blows me away.

The more I think about it, the more I can draw a comparison, actually: This is "The Man" done right.



Now, I like Aloe Blacc well enough, but that song, as some may recall, didn't do much for me.This song, unlike "The Man", has conviction that makes you believe that Nico & Vinz are doing something different. To be honest, there's not much in this song in terms of lyrical variety. Nico & Vinz go to the well about as often as they can regarding the topic of individuality, which... is pretty damn ironic, I have to say.

But I've heard many a bad lyric in my time, and this song only flirts with that idea.

Am I tripping for having a vision?

Eh... that line's okay. Anyway, it's the energy brought out through this song that makes it stick in your head. This is the song we need for a summer anthem. So keep climbing up the charts, Nico & Vinz, and dethrone I-G-G-Y Azalea. Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment