Sunday, June 15, 2014

"Summer" - Calvin Harris

You know, when trying to find a summer anthem for this year, you'd think that the one titled "Summer" would be the obvious choice. But then you realize Calvin Harris does the song, and you lose all hope.



Christ on a cracker, this is boring. It's just one set of lyrics and then audio that David Guetta rejected for being too generic. The lyrics, as few as there are, don't even make sense:

When I met you in the summer
To my heartbeat sound
We fell in love
As the leaves turned brown

It took you until the leaves changed colour to fall in love with her and you met her in the summer? Not exactly passionate.

That's my main problem with this song: Where's the passion? I mean, I should probably commend Calvin Harris for singing his own songs on occasion, but... he only serves as an example as to why DJs shouldn't sing their own songs. His voice is as boring as his music, and that's definitely why a song like "Sweet Nothing" works for me and this doesn't. I like Florence Welch's voice a hell of a lot better than Calvin Harris's.

So he doesn't have passionate lyrics or a passionate voice, so I can hear him trying to make up for it all with passionate... electro house music.

Yeah, I'm starting to grow real weary of EDM. It's all very same-sounding, and when EDM songs can get by in my books (the most important kind of books, of course), it's usually on the strength of their ever-rotating singer. Florence Welch? Fine. Foxes? Great! Calvin Harris... eugh. It's this song in particular that has helped me to realize how generic a genre it really is. Over and over again, it's the the same four-second beat. Da dada dada dada DADA DADA DADA DAAAA over and over. It's enough to make you pray for a second winter.

Despite the title, nothing about this conveys a summer anthem. Calvin Harris just doesn't have the emotional depth on his own to convey an emotion other than "PARTYYYYY! PAAARRRRTTTTYYYY!" And again, I find it a boring song, so I can't even party to this. "Summertime Sadness", while dark, was a way better summer anthem than this! (Remix with Cedric Gervais that actually became popular notwithstanding.)

No comments:

Post a Comment