Friday, June 6, 2014

Flashback Friday: "Promiscuous" - Nelly Furtado ft. Timbaland (2006)

Hey, am I throwing you off? Nope? Didn't think so.



Welcome to another Flashback Friday! Man oh man, I don't know the extent of this song's popularity in the States, but you'd better believe it was everywhere in Canada. Bar none, Canada's summer anthem of 2006. And most of that can be attributed to the popularity of Canada's sweetheart, Nelly Furtado.



Furtado's career took off after she released her debut album, Whoa, Nelly! If you'll excuse me, I'm going to laugh at that album title for a good five minutes. Until then, enjoy this picture of an adorably sad truck.


Awwww... Anyway, she started out as another typical girl next door-type singer. You know, like Vanessa Carlton or Michelle Branch. Just makin' their way like a bird and all they want is somebody who cared. But then the album Loose came out in 2006. And Nelly Furtado lived up to the album's title. No longer the chaste young woman she was on "I'm Like a Bird", she turned into a sex-driven, dare I say promiscuous girl.

And if you don't like the song "Promiscuous", you're a liar.

I mean, sure, it's not intelligent. Not by any means. But there's another reason this was a huge hit: it's a damn catchy jam, thanks to Timbaland, both his beats and his guest rap. Not to discredit Nelly Furtado on this track, however. She holds her own, giving one of her best vocal performances of her career.

But there's another reason this song works: in addition to the promiscuous girl, there's also a promiscuous boy. And it's hard to tell who's coming on to who and who's playing hard-to-get. It's an adventure of a song; an adventure of promiscuity and name-dropping basketball players.

Is your game MVP like Steve Nash

Bitch please, everybody knows Kevin Durant's mom is the real MVP. Timbaland's got nothing on that. But Timbaland's also got his share of name-dropping.

They call me Thomas
Last name Crown
Recognize game
Ima lay mine's down

So... what, you're going to stage a heist then? Steve Nash would never do that... at least, I don't think he would... Got my eye on you now, Steve. So yeah, there's cheesy lyrics here and there. I honestly think it ends up becoming a little comedic, like these two talk big game but don't know how to play it up. Look at this chorus:

Promiscuous girl
Wherever you are
I’m all alone
And it's you that I want

Promiscuous boy
You already know
That I’m all yours
What you waiting for?

Promiscuous girl
You're teasing me
You know what I want
And I got what you need

Promiscuous boy
Let's get to the point
Cause we're on a roll
You ready?

Both Nelly and Timbaland blame the other for not making the first move. "Oh, you're teasing me!" "Oh, what are you waiting for?" This makes the song more enjoyable for me; it's almost like they're in a club and can't hear each other, so they're just making up the other half of the conversation.

Promiscuous boy
I'm calling your name
But you're driving me crazy
The way you're making me wait

It's almost like if you saw these two in real life, you would just tell them to kiss already or something.

Nelly says that they don't gotta play games no more at the end of the song, but I can't help but imagine that this awkward foreplay goes on for hours. This makes me laugh. So for making me laugh, you get a pass, "Promiscuous". Bonus points for the Timberlake cameo in the video.


Awwww. Who's bringing sexy back? You are! You are!

No comments:

Post a Comment