Tuesday, June 17, 2014

CanTunes Tuesday: "Seeya" - deadmau5 ft. Colleen D'Agostino

Let's talk about dead mice.

Guys, I know that mice are one of the most notorious household pests. But that's no reason to kill them off like they're completely worthless. Mice have provided us with hours of entertainment, from Jerry from Tom & Jerry to Itchy from Itchy and Scratchy, to that lovable duo Pinky and the Brain. Remember that as you set your mousetrap.

And on a similar-sounding note, let's talk about deadmau5.



Now I like deadmau5. I sometimes rag on electronic music for being boring, and relying on the guest singer to become un-boring, but deadmau5 is different. Instead of being Canada's answer to David Guetta, he's more like Canada's answer to Daft Punk. (Who are, coincidentally, both French. Huh.)

Now deadmau5 has a new album coming out, and I'm excited to hear his latest single, "Seeya". Let's listen in.



This is totally awesome!

Man, I love it when I can represent the good side of Canadian music. You know how I said that I think electronic music sometimes relies on the guest singer too much to make things interesting? Well, the two components work in perfect harmony here. Colleen's voice is sexy as hell, and complements the throbbing Daft Punk-like beat perfectly. Of course, it's not quite on the same level as a fantastic song like "Get Lucky", as I have heard this formula before, but it gets the job done in a great way. The lyrics evoke this dreamlike quality:

Don't wake me up, I'm winning wars inside my head

Perhaps a little on the nose, but it's still a great song. She talks about winning wars inside her head and her vocals during the chorus definitely sell this idea.

IIIIIIIII, I feel it in my bones

Yeah, exactly that. You believe that as well.

The only downside to speaking about good songs, as I think I've stated before, is that there's really not much to talk about once you've complimented every single aspect of the song. Whatever. deadmau5 is awesome, and so is this song. Best Canadian hit of the year so far. Hope to hear more.

No comments:

Post a Comment