Friday, June 13, 2014

Flashback Friday: "Big Love" - Fleetwood Mac (1987)

Oh, yeah, Fleetwood Mac. One of the biggest groups of the 70's, and it's not hard to see why. They had their own sound, sounding folksy yet surprisingly dark at times. Their 1977 release Rumours was the fourth greatest-selling album of all time.

And then... the 80's happened.


While the 80's weren't bad for Fleetwood Mac, musically or commercially, but they weren't really sounding like themselves. This song sounds nothing like the Fleetwood Mac I know and love. It was remixed into a dance song, for cryin' out loud.

That said, I still like the song well enough. It has this pulsating guitar riff throughout the song that really merits a dance remix. And Lindsey Buckingham's vocals here are great too, practically wailing for love. And I suppose I have to commend Fleetwood Mac for working through the changing times of music. And even though I said this doesn't sound anything like Fleetwood Mac, you can still hear a couple of small touches in there that make it recognizable.

So while I vastly prefer 70's Fleetwood Mac, I can still find a spot in my music heart for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment