Friday, June 27, 2014

Flashback Friday: "Makes Me Wonder" - Maroon 5 (2007)

God, Maroon 5 were boring in 2013.



Doesn't anyone remember when they were at their funkiest? Well, I do. And that time was 2007.



Sometimes I see backlash directed at Maroon 5, but this song is almost never the focus of it. And for good reason: it is, by a country mile, Maroon 5's best song. Everything about it just clicks. Adam Levine's voice, which I didn't really think could mesh with anything, meshes really well with this pounding beat and slick guitar.

Now, that's not to say Maroon 5 didn't have other great songs. I enjoyed Songs About Jane a lot, actually. But this song is probably their most universally acclaimed. Well, maybe not universally acclaimed, but every song has a critic. "So boring it's offensive." Ouch.

Well, this song still has a fan in me. I remember listening to this all the time in 2007. It was so ridiculously catchy, and it still is. Adam Levine conveys this "fuck you, I'm awesome" attitude in a way he never has before. He seems really distant from the girl he's talking to, as if the album this was off of should have been called Getting Over Jane. I like "take-no-bullshit" Adam, it's a good fit for him after gaining fame. So, this is goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment