Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "2 On" - Tinashe ft. SchoolBoy Q

In the most recent years of hip hop and R&B, the intelligence level hasn't exactly been hard to reach, if you catch my drift.



For one thing, Jason Derulo is still making music. That alone should remind everybody that stupid is here to stay, no matter how many groundbreaking artists try to break the mold. But stupid isn't all bad. Here to prove that is newcomer solo artist Tinashe.



This is a prime example of what it takes to get popular. Sex, sex, sex, and drinking. And sex. But what separates this from a Jason Derulo song? I'm glad you asked.

For starters, barring SchoolBoy Q's verse, "2 On" is actually a sexy song. SchoolBoy's verse isn't bad, but it does kind of kill the mood for me. The sexy vibe comes partly from DJ Mustard's beat, but a lot of it comes from Tinashe's voice.

I love to get on
I love to get 2 on

Not that I really know what she's saying. You love to get 2 what on? Guys? A threesome?

But like I said, it's not about the lyrics, and that's a good thing:

Give me all that you got now
Make you want me 'cause I'm hot now



It's about the mood. And this song does set a decent mood. Tinashe's got a great voice for the part, and Mustard's beat here is a lot better than "Show Me".

But there's another important component here that separates "2 On" from much of today's R&B: it's not overtly douchey. Sure, this girl wants to have sex and smoke weed and drink; who doesn't? She's just a party girl. She's not demanding any sex, and she's certainly not travelling the world just to bang hot guys.

So, on the surface this does seem exactly the same as every other stupid R&B hit, but I think this one is a better offering in the genre. i'd love to put this on in place of many songs on the radio today.

Hot 100 Success:

Will she have it?

I can't decide whether the world needs Tinashe or not. I mean, I like the song, but I don't know if it's enough to catch on with the public. "Maybe" pile?

Should she have it?

I'm down for hearing more Tinashe. I'll stick up for this bright spot in shallow music.

No comments:

Post a Comment