Sunday, August 24, 2014

"All About That Bass" - Meghan Trainor

So long as society dumps body issues onto women, there will be a need for songs like this. Irritatingly catchy songs like this.



This is Meghan Trainor, a fairly new addition to the music world that just broke into the mainstream with her newest single "All About That Bass". No treble. As far as I can tell, "bass" means "booty" and "treble" means... "small booty"? Whatever.

As it stands, the song is incredibly uplifting. The song could have easily gone too far and resorted to skinny-shaming, and it almost does that. But then it retracts itself.

I'm bringing booty back, go ahead and tell them skinny bitches that
No I'm just playing. I know you think you're fat
But I'm here to tell ya every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top

It's very smart, the way it's played out. It's very aware of other people, even down to the music video, where it actually has guys dancing with the girls. That's pretty inclusive. This song and video are unlike anything I've seen before, in that regard. It's something I think everyone needed.

And the song's as bootylicious as it suggests, with the doo-wop beat and the general flow of the song. It makes you want to be all about that bass and kick that treble right out the door. Hmm, I may have taken the metaphor a little too far. Regardless, great song, great message.

No comments:

Post a Comment