Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Lifestyle" - Rich Gang ft. Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan

Ohh, rap music, rap music, rap music. Trying too hard, or not enough? You decide.



What I mean by that is, is rap music now actively trying to piss me off, or does the total lack of effort put into rap music these days just do it to me as a side effect? These are the important questions when you're faced with pure crapola such as this specimen.

But you know what? Forget it! I'm not going to let a stupid song get the better of me! I am going to sit here and enjoy this song. Enjoy every braindead, insulting, awful minute of it. And as my first step towards that goal, I'd like to retract those three adjectives and replace them with "beautiful", "incredible", and "awesome". Won't you come along with me, as we listen to this great song together?

The first great thing I notice about this song is that it's breaking down the barriers of what makes a good singer, and hiring drunk homeless people off the street to sing in the song, to challenge those social norms. That is truly commendable. I hope the homeless man got paid a hefty sum of dough for his part in the song.

The irony of it all, though, lies in the rap group's name. See, they're the "Rich Gang". But their hiring of people who are deemed "talentless" and "worthless" by society, and therefore unable to make a commendable amount of money, teaches us all that anybody can be rich in their own mind. It just takes the right mindset and a few good friends to consider yourself rich. Wealth is not defined by money alone. Wealth is defined by the risks you take in life. It's defined by challenging yourself against the watchful eyes of society. By refusing to give up, even in the face of ridicule.

To add a second irony to all of this, they throroughly debunk this theory in the lyrics, proving that there is never one side to a debate. Presenting both sides through different angles is truly what makes this song a work of art. Listen in:

Million 5 on the Visa card
Hundred bands still look like the fuckin' tires

You may think that this lyrics is promoting the shallow life of living for your money and nothing else, but you would be sorely mistaken. The subtlety rises in the song with this lyric in particular. This non sequitur teaches us that throwing your life away to money doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It really is an enigma wrapped in a hundred band. Notice how he doesn't even try to rhyme the two lines, as if to say, "What's the point? Wealth doesn't deserve a coherent rhyming scheme."

There are so many other things to love about this song, and I could go on for days. But I'd like you all to discover each and every gem that this song has to offer on your own, so I'll end the review here, and get to the obvious answers to the questions:

Hot 100 Success:

Will they have it?

You wouldn't believe me with the sheer genius of this song, but this brilliance in hip hop is actually par for the course, and popular, in fact. I can see these guys going far on the charts. God bless 'em.

Should they have it?

NO OF COURSE THEY SHOULDN'T THIS SONG IS FUCKING TERRIBLE... well, I kept it up for as long as I could. This gang certainly isn't "rich" in talent. But they're probably rich in the traditional sense of the word. And that just makes me want to scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment