Friday, August 22, 2014

Flashback Friday: "Venus" - Bananarama (1986)

Wow, I've gotta get off of the cover songs.



It's... it's slowly becoming an addiction, guys. I might need some help. Who do I even call for this sort of thing?

Hello, Addiction Hotline? I think I might be addicted to... cover songs.

What? Is this a prank? Get the hell outta here! *hangs up*

Hmm, you'd think that the Addiction Hotline would be more sympathetic to this sort of thing. Whatever. On with the review, I say!

Bananarama's "Venus" is a cover of a 1969 song from Dutch rock band Shocking Blue. Both versions topped the Hot 100. And honestly, I think Bananarama's version is better.

Shocking Blue's version seems... limited, especially for the time period. I mean, this was a year that had "Space Oddity", "Fortunate Son", hell, even "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" was a better example of a rockin' tune. Yeah, the song needed tweaking. And I think the best way to do that was to pump it up with an infectious dance beat. Enter Bananarama's version 17 years later.

This version has everything that Shocking Blue's was missing; namely, a pulse. There's a reason people remember this version today: it has staying power, almost annoyingly so. It's so catchy, you can't get rid of it. It's also quirky enough, though, that you wouldn't necessarily get bored. I like how they use the danced-up guitar riff in the chorus. I like the wild scream right before the third chorus. I really like this song. It's my fire, at my desire. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to call back a certain addiction hotline and thank them for being so dismissive.

No comments:

Post a Comment