Sunday, August 3, 2014

"Chandelier" - Sia

I think I'm getting a little out of the loop, pop music wise. Case in point: the first time I heard this song was when somebody performed it on America's Got Talent.



Despite my general distaste for singers on this show, this one impressed me. So much so that I decided to look up the original song, seeing as it's on the pop charts as well. In the Top 10, in fact. I guess it's pretty much my duty to do so. So let's take a listen to Sia's version.



...Great. Now I've got two great versions of the song and I can't decide which one I like better! What a problem to have, huh?

On one hand, Sia's version is more spectacular and showy. It sounds like it had a lot of work put into it, and the end payoff is well worth all the work.

But on the other hand, Emily West's version sounds a little more tangible. It sounds like it's coming from a real place, whereas Sia's sounds like it's coming from fantasyland. Sia's version is a little too distanced from authentic emotion, whereas Emily nails this perfectly.

But as I said, both versions are absolutely fantastic. Sia's original lets the full potential of the song's melody of the song shine through in an exciting and memorable way, and West's cover downplays the music to let her beautiful voice shine through and make it sound more like a personal story. Bravo to both of them. 

What can I say? Two great versions of a great song. I don't want to choose between the two, but if I had to, I'd choose Sia's just for being a little more interesting. And after all, she is the original artist and she would know her song best. But Emily West still did an original take on the song and it paid off well. She's through to the next round, and yes, I do watch America's Got Talent. Sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment