Saturday, August 16, 2014

Farewell to Robin Williams

Hello everyone,

Today I'd like to talk about Robin Williams, given his passing on Monday, August 11th. Robin Williams died of a suicide caused by depression, and it is truly heartbreaking to know that a man who made so many laugh was crying inside. Williams was very open about his depression, but this still came as a shock to me and many others. I feel like a piece of my childhood is missing. But more importantly, Robin Williams inspired me to be the kind of person I am today.

He taught me that it was okay to be a goofball, to dance around and carry on like no one's watching. He taught me that normal is boring. Why be normal when you can be yourself? He taught me to go for the joke even if I'm afraid it'll bomb. He taught me that laughter and madness are key staples in our lives that we can't let slip away.

And now that he's gone, it brings to mind the social stigma surrounding depression and mental illness, and the misunderstanding of what it actually is. Depression doesn't care if you're rich, or hilarious, or loved by millions. Depression is non-discriminatory that way. If we just broke down the barriers surrounding mental illness and limiting people's ability to talk about it, we could really make some progress.

Please, if you're considering suicide, there is help out there. Talk to someone you love. Call a hotline. Help is out there.

I'd like to say goodbye to Genie, Mrs. Doubtfire, John Keating, and many others. Rest in peace Robin, wherever you are, and know that you inspired not only myself, but hundreds of others to be themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment