Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Riptide" - Vance Joy

Hey guys! How have your summers been? Have you been going to beaches, maybe swimming in the ocean? If so, then you'll want to avoid a little something called... THE RIPTIDE!!!

Okay, I'm officially running out of intros. Regardless, here's Vance Joy's "Riptide".



Vance Joy, unlike some artists on here, hasn't been hiding under the radar for very long. He's actually a fairly new artist, releasing his first album in 2013. He released his first single, "From Afar", in early 2013, but that one went nowhere. This one did. Why? Well, "From Afar" isn't a bad song, but it's certainly not one I would have chosen as a lead single. It's too slow and unremarkable. Unlike "Riptide", which is set at a faster pace and full of energy. It's really more deserving of the debut single title.

Anyway, "Riptide" is currently sitting at #75 on the US charts. Is it enough to go higher? Well, let's take a look at the type of song this is, because fads come and go, and maybe this one's latching onto a fad.

Now, "Riptide" is an indie folk song. And who can tell me what indie folk artist first pops into their head?



Mmm-hmm. Now the question is, since Mumford & Sons don't appear to be coming back in popularity anytime soon, are we ready for another indie folk act to take the reins?

Well, even though you could file both of these acts under the same genre, they are very different in how they go about their music. The big difference is the ensemble; Mumford & Sons is a group, and Vance Joy is a solo artist. So, they're bound to be different in some ways. Mumford & Sons (okay, this name gets stupider the more I type it) have a more grandiose sound, which is why I usually prefer their live renditions of songs to the studio versions. I don't think this would be the same case with Vance Joy. He seems a little more processed, like the studio is the right place for him, so that he can edit the sound to make it sound a little better. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does set a difference between him and Mumford & Sons (seriously, it sounds like the name of an attorney clinic).

I like "Riptide". It flows along nicely, has a sort of dreamlike quality to the sound, and it's got this pretentious-as-hell video that you can't help but love in all its pretentiousness. Except I honestly think the video does detract a little from the song, especially the part where the lady's singing into the microphone and the lyrics on the bottom are obviously wrong. Like, ha-ha, it's funny the first time, but they keep doing it, so much so that I begin to question if I'm hearing the words right. So I don't have to question myself anymore, let's get to the big verdicts.

Hot 100 Success:

Will he have it?

I root for the guy, I do. But I don't think his success will be that great, as I think rock and folk are starting to fall out of favour. Still, this song's got enough value that I can see it on the top half.

Should he have it?

Vance Joy seems like an intelligent artist, and I certainly don't hate his music. If he does more like "Riptide" and less like "From Afar", sure, I'll advocate his sticking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment