Sunday, August 17, 2014

"Bang Bang" - Jessie J, Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj

Jessie J. Ariana Grande. And Nicki Minaj. Together, the trifecta of female superstars in music will come together and... make a song about fighting over some guy.



Fighting over having sex with this guy, specifically. Actually, I think it's only Grande and Jessie J who are fighting in this track. Minaj references both of them with one line

It's me, Jessie, and Ari
If they test me they sorry

and then just kind of rolls around in her own little universe. But for the other two... it's an all-out war. The way you can tell that they're fighting with each other is the last line of each of their verses. Here's Jessie J:

See anybody could be bad to you,
You need a good girl to blow your mind

And here's Grande:

See anybody could be good to you,
You need a bad girl to blow your mind

Yeah, so I guess the main question isn't "is this a good song?" but "who wins this fight?" Well... both of them and neither of them.

Both their verses are pretty good, but Jessie J's has the problem of nullifying it with calling herself a "good girl", and I'm not sure how much I believe Grande as a "bad girl" yet. Maybe if the roles were reversed?

I will give the song the chorus, because as the title suggests, it is bang bangin'. And I do have respect for all three of the artists on this track (yes, even Nicki). But I feel like this song's lyrical content should be more interesting, especially for the subject matter. I feel like this is trying to be "The Boy is Mine", but the artists are too nice to rag on each other too much. Which is weird, because their personalities have more attitude, but their lyrics don't. It's like this:

She got a body like an hourglass, but I can give it to you all the time

She has endearing features, but... so do I! That's the pattern for Jessie J's lyrics especially. I guess if I had to pick a winner of this battle, it would be Grande. Her lyrics are just more coherent, and it doesn't hurt that she's more relevant in 2014 than Jessie J.

But the real winner is the guy in this song, for somehow making Jessie J, Ariana Grande, and Nicki Minaj all want to have sex with him. I don't know how he did it, but that's quite the feat. Anyway... pretty good song, I can overlook the weird stuff to get to the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment