Friday, August 1, 2014

Flashback Friday: "1-2-3" - Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine (1988)

GLORIA ESTEFAN AND MIAMI SOUND MACHINE ARE IN THE BUILDING!


And today, we're gonna learn how to count to eleven with them!

1-2-3-4 come on baby say you love me

So that's 1, 2, 3, 4, come, on... wait, those aren't numbers! What a rip-off!

Okay, so let's talk about Gloria Estefan and this song for a second, because it does eventually go up to 11, in more ways than one. Gloria Estefan started out with Miami Sound Machine in the late 70's. They quickly gained popularity in the United States, peaking during the late 80's and early 90's. This song was one of their biggest hits, peaking at #3 on the Hot 100 and helping the album Let It Loose to go multi-platinum. So, what was so special about Gloria Estefan and her backing group Miami Sound Machine?

Well, despite the fact that this song is a confusing resource for those learning to count, it is a song and band that are full of energy. And you can tell from not only the song, but the video. One of my philosophies with music is that I can give a lot of leeway to a song or artist if they at least seem like they're having the time of their lives up on stage. And that's definitely the case with these guys. Look at them! I would have loved to see these guys in concert. Unfortunately, Gloria doesn't perform with Miami Sound Machine anymore, but she still looks like she has enough energy to carry a show all by herself.

And I think that's what appeals to me, and I think it's what appealed to a lot of people in the late 80's. I wouldn't even call it ridiculous like hair metal was; it was just fun. It makes you want to get up and dance. And if you'll excuse me, that's exactly what I feel like doing. Dancing and counting. What a combo! Now this is the life. Dance with me! 1, 2, 3, 4...

No comments:

Post a Comment