Sunday, August 31, 2014

"Black Widow" - Iggy Azalea ft. Rita Ora

More 2014 music, more Iggy Azalea, it seems.



If someone had told me last year that the breakout star of 2014 would be a rapping Australian white girl, I would have told them that they were crazy. But it's 2014, and here we are. And really, given the lack of talent that most rappers have these days, I guess Iggy Azalea deserves a place about as much as anyone.

... But God damn it, does she have to put on that phony accent?

That accent is what's been causing some controversy around this rapper. People have accused her of being fake and even being racist. Meanwhile, I just listen to it and I accuse her of being annoying.


The accent's not a good fit for her, because it's so obviously put-on and it makes me question her claims such as "first thing's first, I'm the realest". You're the "realest"? You're not even rapping with your own accent!

Now Iggy has gone on record to defend herself and her accent, saying that the way she raps is not a big deal, and that she is an artist for adapting her voice to sound different. Whether you agree with those statements or not, Iggy isn't going away anytime soon, so it looks like I have to continue to deal with this.

Something I SHOULDN'T have to deal with however, is lame-ass music videos. I don't care, I don't care, I-G-G-Y needs to get to the S-O-N-G SONG.

So, after a minute and forty-three seconds of that nonsense, we finally get to the song. And... the first part isn't bad. Of course, the first part isn't Iggy. It's Rita Ora, who delivers a nice hook for the opening. This beat is pretty rockin' too. And then...

This twisted cat and mouse game always starts the same
First we're both down to play then somehow you go astray

You know, the lyrics here actually aren't bad, but I cannot get past that fake accent. It sours my opinion of Iggy through and through. And that's a damn shame, because Iggy shows promise with her lyrics.

You were different from my last but now you got it mirrored
And as it all plays out I see it couldn't be clearer

I just really wish she didn't have the accent. I fear that it's gonna haunt me on every song she does, but it's the accent she chose, so... looks like I'll just have to prepare myself for more.

This is at least better than "Fancy", though. Rita Ora seems comfortable with the hook, and the beat is a thousand times better. What I'm saying is, this would be a great Iggy song if Iggy Azalea wasn't here, I guess. Sorry, I-G-G-Y, but I'm D-O-N-E for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment