Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Watch-for-it Wednesday: "Hope You Get Lonely Tonight" - Cole Swindell

Well, from one country song to another, huh?



So, how does this up-and-coming country song in America stack up against the Canadian country song I reviewed yesterday that will probably never see the light of day in America? Well, this one's a lot more authentically "new country", if you get my drift.



All right, am I just being a little cynical? I mean, there's nothing wrong with a little party music, right? God knows LMFAO wouldn't have a career without it. Actually... maybe that alone should outweigh its plusses?

All right, truth be told, I've never had a huge problem with LMFAO. They weren't great, but they never really offended me. So, what offends me about bro-douchey country music? 

I think it's the lack of self-awareness more than anything. Bro-country doesn't appear to realize how stupid it sounds. I always thought LMFAO was half-parody, but modern country music always seems blissfully unaware of how terrible it really is. It's enough to piss me off. So, how bad is this country song?

It's not terrible, but it is kind of boring. I've heard this type of music many times, and this is just a 5/10 example of it. It doesn't do anything memorable, unlike the last country song I reviewed. It isn't original, unlike the last country song I reviewed. And it doesn't make me want to go back and listen to it again, unlike the last country song I reviewed. It's an utterly pointless song to me.

Okay, there is one part I like:

If you got some room for a little regret,
Let me know girl I've already left

That's admittedly kind of funny, even if it isn't on purpose. But at least it's something to say about this song, which is something I'm really grasping at straws to do. Is it any wonder that people are getting tired of country music? I sure am.

Hot 100 Success:

Will he have it?

Who in country has had success so far this year? Florida Georgia Line, maybe? Can't think of anyone else. The future doesn't look bright for this man, is what I'm saying.

Should he have it?

No. That Canadian guy should, though. Bobby Wills for breakthrough country artist of 2014! Who's with me? No one? Okay... rubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment