Thursday, August 21, 2014

Top 10 Thursday: Top 10 Best Covers (Better Than The Originals)

Hey guys! It's about time to add a little positivity to this blog. So, because I did my Worst Covers list last week, here's my Best Covers list now!

10. "Blue Monday" - Orgy (original by New Order)



I'm probably committing some serious heresy here by putting this version on the list, but... I can't help it. I legitimately do like this version better. Maybe it's because I grew up on rock music, and this one has more of a rock "edge" to it... or maybe it's just because I actually heard this version before the New Order version. Whatever the case, "Blue Monday" rocks either way. Just a little bit harder with Orgy's version. Sorry, New Order fans. Okay, who's throwing fruit?

9. "Big Yellow Taxi" - Counting Crows (Joni Mitchell)



Okay, now I must officially be tripping, right? How can I like this version of "Big Yellow Taxi" better than the original? Well... this version's just more interesting to me. It's got this funky beat that you can jam to, it's got more melody than the original, it's just all around a great cover. And bonus points always go to Adam Duritz's hair. Every time. Rock on, Pineapple Hair.

8. "Mad World" - Gary Jules (Tears for Fears)



Okay, let me preface this one by saying that I absolutely love Tears for Fears. But with a song like this, the only way to really do it well is stripped-down like Gary Jules did here. The Tears for Fears version is really kind of strange to me, and I honestly don't really like it. Gary Jules' version is straightforward and executed well. He definitely has the vocal chops to pull it off too, being ever so subtle but ever so saddening at the same time. Tears for Fears, I love ya, but when it comes to versions of this song, Gary Jules is the man who gets my vote.

7. "You Really Got Me" - Van Halen (The Kinks)



All right, this one's a bit of a closer race, but I think Van Halen's version juuuust edges out over the original. The way rock music was moving, Van Halen could just do more with the song at the time, complete with Eddie's guitar solos. That's not to discredit The Kinks' original in any way, though. It's a great song either way. But Van Halen's version rocked a little harder, and therefore it's able to make the list.

6. "Hair of the Dog" - Guns N' Roses (Nazareth)


Guns N' Roses have done a lot of cover songs, and many of them range from mediocre to bad, really bad. *shudder* Buuuut I really like what they did with Nazareth's song "Hair of the Dog". They changed just enough about it to make it more interesting, but not a completely different song. I especially like the crazy way they just keep on speeding up at the end. Makes the song sound a lot more off-the-wall. And Slash's guitar was just what the doctor ordered for this already hard-rockin' song. So, while they've had many cover missteps, this one almost forgives all of them, in my opinion.

5. "Walk This Way" - Run-DMC (Aerosmith)


Run-DMC had such an impact with this cover. It was a complete genre change, first of all, from rock to rap. But it also showed how the two genres can work in harmony with each other, and it helped to propel rap to the mainstream, with this song hitting #5 on the Hot 100 chart. It also brought back Aerosmith in a big way, with their album Permanent Vacation being their comeback album a year later. Just the influence on music is enough to make this cover noteworthy. But it also does something interesting with the song. It makes you look at the melody from a whole new perspective, and accept it as a rap song. Truly commendable. Truly iconic.

4. "Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley (Leonard Cohen)


Everybody and their mother has covered this iconic, beautiful song, but if I had to choose one that is a cut above the rest, even the original, it would be Jeff Buckley's version. I feel that he's the one who understood the song the most, and it shows up in his soft voice and guitar. The song sounds so timid for the most part, and I think that's how it should sound. Sadly, Jeff Buckley was taken from this earth far too soon due to an accidental drowning. Maybe there's a god above, and if so, there's a special place for Jeff Buckley.

3. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - The Jeff Healey Band (The Beatles)


Okay, wait! What am I doing now? This contradicts everything I've said about The Beatles! Don't cover their songs, George Harrison is the best, DON'T COVER THEIR SONGS. So... what the hell?

Well, have you ever heard the expression "every rule has an exception"? Well, this is the exception, baby, and dear God, is it ever an exception. I still love The Beatles, and I love the original. But Jeff Healey just takes this song to a whole new level, adding an extra amount of blues and soul to it with his guitar, which really sounds like it's weeping. Dare I say it? Jeff Healey understood this song better than George Harrison did. And he sets just the right mood to show his understanding. Rest in peace, Jeff Healey. Probably one of the greatest guitarists ever to come from Canada.

2. "Hurt" - Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)


Sorry, Nine Inch Nails. But the people who prefer the original to this cover are rare. I was actually surprised to find out that this was a cover; this song sounds tailor-made for Johnny. He does an excellent job with the song, obviously, sounding stricken with sadness in his voice. It's absolutely heartbreaking, and absolutely fantastic. The fact that this was one of his last songs makes it all the sadder. Rest in peace, Johnny. You left a legacy of conutry music and soulfulness that no one can touch.

1. "All Along the Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix Experience (Bob Dylan)


Widely regarded as one of the best cover songs of all time, "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix is truly fantastic. Just a great showcase for Jimi's musical talent all around. Even Bob Dylan has gone on record to say that Jimi did it better. And who can blame him? It's Jimi Hendrix. His unmistakable style changed music forever, and if he liked a song enough to cover it, it would have to be considered nothing except a huge honour. Jimi plays rock n' roll in the sky now, but he will always be remembered as one of the pioneers of rock music. And this cover is truly indicative of that, and it is, in my opinion, the greatest cover song of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment